The nature school day is led by Haltia’s environmental educator who takes the students out into nature for activities, experiences, inspiration and learning. The group may choose between six themes. The program of the nature school day includes for instance hiking, studying nature, games, green drama and adventure pedagogy. The Nature School applies a diverse outdoor education pedagogy, and the programs support the comprehensive school curriculum. The programs combine many different school subjects, for example biology, geography, social studies, physical education and home economics.
1. The Game of Life - a GPS adventure into biodiversity
ONLY IN FINNISH
Can you keep your species and population alive in the Game of Life? The game is played in the near surroundings of Haltia using GPS devices to find your way.
The biodiversity theme is best suited to 8th –9th grade and secondary school. Duration: 4 hours. The objectives of the biodiversity theme are:
- to comprehend the concept and importance of biodiversity
- to understand how biodiversity can be protected
- to understand that man is part of nature and totally dependent on viable ecosystems
2. Forest nature's secret
What does a natural forest look like? What plants, mushrooms, bugs and bigger inhabitants can be found in the forests of Nuuksio? How can you act in benefit for a diverse forest nature? During the forest nature theme day we get to know the forests near Haltia through research studies.
With 8th graders we plan a forest research, with the goal to find differences between natural and managed forests. With 5-6th graders we take a look at forest species, get to know food chains and emphatize with forest dwellers during a forest drama.
The forest nature theme is suited to 5–6th and 8th grade students. Duration: 4 hours. The learning objective of the theme is:
- to understand the key aspects of the of the coniferous forest ecosystem in Southern Finland
- to grasp the natural values of the forest nature in Nuuksio National Park
- to practice active citizenship and participation skills.
3. Hiking skills
Long live the everyman’s rights! During the hiking theme day we enjoy the fantastic nature in Nuuksio and learn important hiking skills. We prepare food on camping cookers. We find our way using a map and compass. The hike is also a great way to get to know each other.
The hiking theme is suited to 5th–9th -year pupils. Duration: 5 hours. The learning objective of the excursions is:
- to become excited about hiking and getting a personal hiking experience
- to learn hiking skills and understand the environmental impacts of hiking
- to comprehend everyman’s rights
The three other themes can only be instructed in Finnish or Swedish.
5. The Path to the Future Ltd
6. Historical tracks in Nature